Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Few Thoughts Before I Drift Off To Sleep...

I spent a couple hours today fighting with my sewing machine in an attempt to finish up the slipcover for my ottoman in my bedroom. My fingertips are tender, though no longer bleeding, (time to buy a thimble), but still it is unfinished. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a seamstress. I can figure out how to cut out fabric and how to piece it together, but I guess I just don't know the ins and outs of working my machine. Or maybe everyone fights with their machine, I don't know. I'm convinced, though, that there is some secret formula, like tension x stitch length squared = my machine not jamming up. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with working with the heavy dropcloth. Either way, I decided I needed a break. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will attach the skirt and be done.

I've been brainstorming a blog topic idea today. I'm kind of excited about it. I'm thinking of featuring one of my inherited dishes from my grandmothers each week. I've been wanting to document the story behind each piece along with a picture so I'll always remember and be able to tell my kids about them. So why not do that here? And actually, I probably won't just do dishes, I'll also feature things like hankies, aprons, costume jewelry, and any other baubles I inherited from my grandmothers. What do you think? I was actually inspired by Lynn at Cottage and Creek. Her hankies and nostalgic tone got me thinking. Thanks, Lynn!

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a load of materials for finishing the girls' bedroom. I'm soooo excited to wrap up this eternal project!

Right now, though, it's waaaaay past my bedtime!

No comments: