Wednesday, January 26, 2011

French Toast



(I got this image from learningtocook(dot)com. It was the closest to what mine looked like. I tried to take a picture but it was late and I didn't have decent light.)

Alrighty, here it it. Now, this isn't exactly a cutting edge recipe. It's your basic french toast. The key is that you'll slice your sourdough bread at least 1/2 an inch thick. That's what makes this good. A hearty slice of homemade bread. (Which reminds me of a sign Lincoln and I saw in northern WI one night outside of a restaurant. They were advertising their "homade pizza". That was fuel for some great jokes about ho-made food for the whole weekend.) Anywho, back to french toast. This particular recipe comes from "Cooking With Mickey: Gourmet Mickey Cookbook", the most requested recipes from Walt Disney World and Disneyland. I got it in a consignment shop.



Cinnamon Sugar French Toast

1/4 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 slices sourdough bread, 1/2 inch thick
4 eggs, well beaten
Soy bean oil (I just use whatever I have)
Confectioners sugar
Butter, whipped (though I skip the butter on it and like it just fine, especially if I cook them in a little butter)
Maple syrup, warm (Don't make me get on my soapbox about maple syrup. Just use the real, pure stuff and not that plasticky, fabricated garbage, OK?)

Mix cinnamon and sugar and set aside.

Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Dip in beaten eggs, soaking bread well with egg. Heat oil in a skillet and fry bread, turning to brown both sides. Roll at once in sugar and cinnamon and dust with confectioners sugar.

Serve with butter and syrup.


So there it is. We had this for dinner last night and the kids couldn't get enough.

Linking up to Funky Junk's SNS

No comments: