Monday, January 24, 2011

Sourdough Bread

Ok, folks, it's a recipe today. Just trust me when I tell you to get your starter going for this, because tomorrow I'm going to share a French Toast recipe that you HAVE to make with slices of homemade sourdough.

It will take you approximately 2 minutes to make the starter, so what do you have to lose? You could make this while you're swishing your mouthwash around your mouth, I bet.

Here it is:

2C all-purpose flour
2C warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast (or a scant tablespoon if you're using bulk.)

Mix together flour, warm water, and yeast in a large glass bowl.
That's it for the mixing! See? Easy!

Let stand uncovered in a warm place overnight (up to 48 hours). The longer it stands, the stronger the ferment will be.

After fermenting, the starter is ready to use or store covered in the fridge. Feed once or twice a week with 1 C milk, 1 C flour, and 1/4 C sugar. Allow the starter to rest at room temperature for several hours after feeding.

*Side note: Don't worry if your starter has a "skin" over it after fermenting. Once you cover and refrigerate it, it softens up.

Sourdough Bread:

4 3/4 C bread flour
3 T sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1 C warm milk
2 T margarine or butter softened
1 1/2 C starter
1 extra large egg
1 T water
1/4 C chopped onion (optional)

1. In a large bowl, combine 1 C flour, sugar, salt, yeast. Add milk and butter. Stir in starter. Mix in up to 3 3/4 C flour. (I often don't need all of that. Yesterday I only used 3 and I still felt like it was a little too much.)

2. Turn dough out onto floured surface, knead 8-10 minutes. (You can also use your Kitchenaid or Bosch mixer with dough hook attachment).

3. Place in greased bowl, turn to coat with oil, cover. Let rise one hour or until doubled.

4. Punch down. Let rest for 15 minutes.

5. Shape into loaves, place in greased baking pan. (I shape them into round loaves and cook them on my stones. I like the round loaf when I'm going to make French Toast, because it gives me a nice, long , slice of bread.) Let rise 1 hour, or until doubled.

6. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 375' for 30 minutes.

****EDITED to add- If you're adding the chopped onions, they go on after the egg wash!


Ok, now go get your starter started. You'll be making french toast in a couple days. My kids LOVED this french toast, and the key to the whole thing is to make it with this sourdough bread.

Happy baking!

1 comment:

Peggy Snow Cahill said...

Molly, this looks easy, thanks!
I put a link to it on my long-neglected blog, too!